Welcome to What's up, Switzerland?, a university project financed by the SNSF. The project is non-commercial and not affiliated to WhatsApp and Facebook.
Some key figures about our project:
- Project sum: CHF 1'597'904 (SNSF, Sinergia: CRSII1_160714)
- Involved Universities:
- Project duration: 36 months (1/1/2016 – 31/12/2018)
- Overall Research Questions:
- What do Swiss WhatsApp messages look like? What has changed overall between Swiss SMS and Swiss WhatsApp messages, and why (as regards linguistic structures, use of images in a broad sense, spelling, register-specific style, individualization vs. accomodation)
- What is said / done by the individual users and the media in/on WhatsApp messages and chats, in relation to the findings for question 1?
- Subprojects: The project consists of four subprojects:
- Language(s) of WhatsApp: Verbal Periphrases and Argument Drop
- Language Design in WhatsApp: Icono/Graphy
- Individuals in WhatsApp
- The Cultural Discourses and Social Meanings of Mobile Communication
The whole project at a glance.